Our regularly updated list of recommended Linux links.
- Glimmer - Superb programming editor, with syntax highlighting for many languages.
- IglooFTP PRO - Unfortunately a 30-day trial, but it's the best FTP client, ever.
- RUST - Creating RPMs has never been so simple.
- WebDownloader for X - Resume downloading large files with this download manager.
- Xine - Superb DVD (and much more) player.
Desktop environments and window managers
- GNOME - Home of GNOME, a desktop enviroment.
- KDE - Home of KDE, the K Desktop Environment.
- Window Maker - Home of WindowMaker, a popular alternative to GNOME and KDE.
- Window Managers for X - Complete guide to all window managers and desktop environments.
- DesktopLinux - News, opinions, documentation, product reviews, product listings, a forum, and links, all focussed on using Linux as a desktop operating system.
- Themes.org - Eye candy for your desktop.
- XFree86 - Freely redistributable open source implementation of the X Window System.
- DistroWatch - Superb site that compares in table format, many Linux distributions.
- Ibiblio Linux Archive - No less than 54 Linux distribution ISOs to download, with multiple versions of each distro.
- Linux From Scratch - Build your own distro from scratch with the excellent Linux From Scratch book.
- LinuxISO - Download the latest Linux ISOs.
- The LWN.net Linux Distribution List - An exhaustive, well-organised list of all known Linux distributions.
- Tom's Root Boot - When you can't boot your hard drive, Tomsrtbt, "The most GNU/Linux on one floppy disk", may be your last hope of recovery.
- LDP - The Linux Documentation Project.
- LinuxPowered - Good Linux documentation site.
- LinuxQuestions - Good place for beginners to ask questions.
- YoLinux - Extensive documentation and links site.
- Linux Games - Find out what Linux has to offer in the games department with this great looking site.
- Linuxberg: Games - Tons of games to download.
- Linux.com - A volunteer supported site created for and by the Linux and Open Source communities.
- Linux Journal - Linux news, articles, help, and their popular Linux magazine.
- Linux Magazine - Features some nice Linux articles, a Linux Who's Who, and of course their Linux magazine.
- LinuxPlanet - Features some good Linux articles and tutorials.
- LinuxWorld - Features some great Linux articles.
- CheapBytes - Popular site to purchase cheap Linux CDs.
- Linux Emporium - Great place to buy cheap Linux CDs by credit card, cheque, or postal order, if you live in Europe (and especially the UK).
- LinuxMall - The largest online shopping center for Linux-related products.
- GNOME Office - Links to an impressive array of office applications for the GNOME desktop environment.
- KOffice - Free, integrated office suite for KDE, the K Desktop Environment.
- OpenOffice.org - The open source version of StarOffice.
- StarOffice - Powerful multi-platform office suite, with Microsoft Office compatibilty.
- Download.com - Good software download site, especially for the average home user.
- Freshmeat - The Web's largest index of Unix and cross-platform software.
- IceWalkers - Very nice Linux software site.
- Linuxberg - Well organised Linux software site.
- RPM Find - Massive RPM database.
- SourceForge - Massive open source development website.
- TuxFinder - Software search engine, great for finding RPMs.
- Apache - Home of Apache, the world's most popular web server.
- MySQL - Home of MySQL, the world's most widely used open source database.
- Perl - Home of Perl, the duct tape of the Internet.
- PHP - Home of PHP, a server-side, HTML embedded scripting language.
- The CGI Resource Index - The only CGI resource you'll likely ever need.
- The Perl Journal Archives - The Perl Journal magazine's past issues, articles online.
- Cygwin - A Unix environment for Windows.
- VMware - Run Windows in a Linux window and vice-versa, although for a price in performance and substantial cost.
- Win4Lin - Not as compatible as VMware, but significantly cheaper, and more compatible than Wine, although like VMware it requires Windows.
- Wine Development HQ - Run Windows applications from Linux, with varying success, for free, and without the need for Windows.
(Total links: 102)
|Latest stable kernel: 2.4.19 | Latest development kernel: 2.5.39
Copyright © 1998-2002 Linuxdot.org.
Linux ® is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.